Requirements for Provisional Registration
The vessel registration process is commenced by completing an ‘Application for Vessel Registration, Call Sign and Official Number’ available through a Deputy Registrar (specific to region), who will lead you through the process. The Application Form is to be accompanied by:
- Copy of application to register a Foreign Company or incorporate a Cook Islands International Company
- Copy of Builder’s Certificate (new construction only) or Bill of Sale
- Copy of confirmation (letter or email) from Classification society that they will issue certificates while vessel under Cook Islands Flag (if applicable)
- Copies of all vessel’s present certificates issued by flag state and classification society
- Copy of schedule of interested shareholders (if applicable)
- Copy of Power of Attorney (if applicant is an authorised officer of owner)
Subject to approval by the Registrar of Ships, and upon payment of the registration fee, a Provisional Certificate of Registry will be issued. This certificate is effective from the date of issue and valid for a period of 3 months. During this time the requirements for permanent registration are to be completed. The Registrar may extend the period of provisional registration in special circumstances.
Requirements for Permanent Registration
- Original Application Form (duly executed and witnessed as specified therein)
- Copy of certificate of incorporation of a new Cook Islands International company or a certificate of registration of an existing Foreign Company on the Cook Islands Companies Register
- Original or duly validated* copy of Builder’s Certificate (new construction only) or Bill of Sale
- Original or duly validated* copy of Deletion Certificate (from yacht’s previous Registry)
- Copy of certificate from ship’s P&I insurance company including crew insurance (only applicable to commercial/charter yachts)
- Copy of Confirmation (letter or email) from Radio Accounting Authority that they will agree to act as AA while ship under Cook Islands Flag (if applicable)
- Original or duly validated* schedule of interested shareholders (if applicable)
- Original or duly validated* copy of Power of Attorney (if applicable)
*Reviewed, signed and sealed by a Justice of the Peace, a Commissioner for Oaths, Solicitor, Notary Public or the Registrar or Deputy Registrar of Ships of the Cook Islands Ships Registry or before any person authorised by law to administer oaths in the country where the declaration is made.
N.B. The Registrar has the discretion to require, if deemed necessary, additional surveys to be conducted before issuance of a Permanent Certificate of Registry.